9.18.2009

whitsundays

Hi Everyone. Let me fill you in again (briefly) on what's happening with my life.
I'm home, back in Zion, Illinois. Returning to life back in USA has been an adjustment, but I'm staying busy and enjoying almost every moment of it.
Since I was too busy to even think about blogging while I was traveling this summer, I'm updating my favorite memories in little pieces for you. So read back if you'd like and you can see other fun moments from my wanderings through Australia.
As always, thanks for reading! And leave a comment to let me know you stopped by!
Hugs and kisses!
April

Welcome to The Whitsunday Islands, one of the most beautiful places in the world! Captain Cook discovered these Islands back in 1770. I was thinking, how awesome it must have been to discover a place of such rich beauty! What a thing to write home about! Anyway, The Whitsundays are a group of 74 islands along the Queensland coast that make up part of the Great Barrier Reef. The coastal land is nothing special really and Nick and I found ourselves a bit bored. But words really can't describe the stunning beauty seen once you leave the shore and weave through the islands on the bluest water imaginable.

This is a photo shot from Airlie Beach looking out towards the islands.
IMG_1566

And here are two people very excited about their vacation!
IMG_1575
IMG_1573

We boarded a boat called the Mantaray. It became our home for a day of snorkeling and beach bumming and whale watching. (We didn't get to see any whales though.)
IMG_1620
IMG_1587

This is the Skipper.
IMG_1589
IMG_1579
IMG_1588
IMG_1576
IMG_1581

Probably the best part of the trip was our stop at Whitehaven Beach. I've never seen anything like it. It's the largest beach in the Whitsundays and it's about a 2 hour boat trip from the coast. I could have spent days there!
IMG_1596
IMG_1591
IMG_1592
IMG_1593
IMG_1594
IMG_1595
IMG_1608
IMG_1605
IMG_1609

We had a little sand sculpture activity. Nick made a whale, and I made a smiling sunshine. You can pick the winner, post your opinion in the comments :)
IMG_1600
IMG_1597
IMG_1611
IMG_1603
IMG_1618
IMG_1613
Vacation...what a beautiful thing...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you plan all your sidetrips ahead of time? How did you know about the boat to the different islands? I think your pictures are fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Sue

Mom said...

Ivote for the footprints.

Esther Crawford said...

Great to see ya this morning at church. Best of luck on this next phase of the journey! :)