3.01.2008

they took my stuff


Someone broke into my car tonight. I hate that feeling of my space being violated. It's a feeling that makes your heart beat faster and you suddenly feel walls of mistrust guarding all sides of you. I hate it.

They didn't steal much, there wasn't much to steal. They stole my iPod. I rarely leave that in my car but I was in a rush and forgot it in my bag. I'm really bummed about that. I also feel very irresponsible since it was a gift, and a very pricey gift at that. Also in my bag were my work clothes...my favorite black dress pants! Honestly I don't know what all was in my bag. I fear that I've lost important papers or anything with insight into my life/finances. I working on trying to recall everything.


I stopped at Walgreens on my way home. It was past midnight and I don't think I was in the safest neighborhood. But I wanted to buy a clear shower curtain and some duct tape.

While I was standing by the duct tape this big, beefy and kinda dirty black guy came up to me and said "Hey, you gonna buy that duct tape?"


I said "ya".


He asked, "Are you going to use all of it?"


Well, in my generosity I told him "Hey, if you help me tape up my window, I'll share my duct tape with you."


He was thrilled, bling, grill and all!


So there we were taping up my window and he was actually a big help, kind of annoying...a little sketchy...but a big help. And then I gave him some duct tape and while he was watching me tape the rest of the window he said "Damn baby, you're smart! What are you, a teacher?"


I said, "No, I'm just really smart!"


So he said "Oh".


And then he said "Hey, do you know where I can buy some good weed?"


I said "Umm...nope. I'm too smart for weed."


And as he walked away he said "Okay baby girl...you stay safe..."



Sometimes I wonder what God thinks about people like that man. I mean seriously, if we are all made in God's image, what's to say about that man? What part of God's image does he bear? I can see it now. I can just see Jesus Christ with a big grill and some bling hanging 'round his neck, his pants half way down to his knees, his cigarette sitting there stuck the side of his lip, a pimp walk...there's Jesus saying "I got you a crib up there at yo big daddy's crib in the sky..." Ha ha, I don't know, I just find people like him so incredibly ridiculous.


I'll be honest, I didn't feel very safe when I was at the Walgreens. I don't like that feeling. I am usually pretty brave and confident but in times like tonight, times when I already feel vulnerable or violated, I just hate the fact that I'm a woman, alone in a big city. I guess that's just life, that just my life.



P.S. I'm taking donations if anyone wants to help me buy a new iPod!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw... that sucks Schmapril. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. Maybe I could help you find some glass and Chalo and I could put it in? Sorry again.

Anonymous said...

Hey April, I enjoyed your story, and found it so familiar (being from Zion). I'm sorry to hear someone broke into your car. I've been there, and it's such a creepy, violating feeling!

Secondly, we all might be made in God's image, but that doesn't mean we all ACT like God! Haha, he gave us a foundation to start with, it's our job to be good stewards with what he gave us. You're doing a good job, and he's just creeping people out! haha

I just can't stand people who are ballsy enough to come up to you and ask you to buy them duct tape, which in a round about way, is exactly what he was doing; and then asks you where he can get some weed. Where do people get off thinking they are owed that? Both you and I would never even THINK about going INTO a walgreens, and asking someone if they were going to use all the duct tape they were about to purchase! It just blows my mind.
Thanks for the comments you left on my blog! I hope to hear some more in the future! Later April!