8.09.2008

field trip

Today I visited the Jongmyo Shrine here in Seoul. What exactly is a shrine you wonder? I wondered the same thing. And honestly, I still wonder a little. It's a strange concept, but here is what I learned today about the Jongmyo Shrine:

Jongmyo is the royal ancestral shrine of the Joseon dynasty (1392-1910) where the spirit tablets of its kings and queens are enshrined and memorial rites are observed in respect of time-old confucian tradition.

The buildings in these pictures were reconstructed in 1608 after being destroyed by Japanese troops during the Hideyoshi invasion in 1592.


History amazes me. Growing up in America somewhat limits a person's concept of history. I don't deny that America's past is powerful and meaningful, but America's stories are wrapped up in just a few hundred years. Today I stood on ground that holds a story from long long ago. These buildings are older than my country, even considering that they've been rebuilt.
As I catch these remnants of stories from ancie
nt history, I can't help but to think about my place in the history being created today. What stories will we tell the world hundreds of years from now?

DSC02057

DSC02067

DSC02071

DSC02059

DSC02066

DSC02072

DSC02076

3 comments:

Dustin and Stacey said...

wow! beautiful! You got some great shots! you've really become quite the photographer!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I agree that old buildings like this are amazing. Good shots!

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures April. :) You've really captured a bit of history on film. Thanks for sharing. :)