6.13.2006

the 3 day commitment


This summer, September 8-10, I am walking 60 miles in the support of breast cancer research. I have been so blessed and supported in every area of my life. This is one small way that I can give back to my world in a meaningful way.

I really believe that it is important to stand up and support the important things in life. Sometimes I find myself so entwined in my next dream or goal that I forget how we are all connected, and most importantly I forget about my responsibility to serve people who are in need.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death for all women, and the leading cause of death in women between the ages of 40 and 55. Both its cause and the means for its cure remain undiscovered. Currently, one million women in the U.S. have the disease and probably won't know about their potentially fatal illness for another five to eight years. Breast cancer has challenged 2 million survivors in the United States.
I am walking this September in the honor of my loved ones who have fought and who are fighting through breast cancer. You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer, and I would be proud to walk in their honor as well.

I don't know what it's like to struggle with cancer. I don't know what it's like to be hopeful through something so terrifying. But I feel responsible to support research towards a cure. My responsibility this summer, September 8, 9, and 10th, is to WALK and WALK and WALK to bring awareness and support to this disease and to all of the people who it has affected.

My other responsibility, which sometimes seems impossible, is to raise $2,200. That is a lot of money. All the money that is raised will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Breast Care Foundation, and to the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund. On one hand, I am excited to think that I could be able to donate such a great gift to these foundations. But I also know that asking for money is probably one of the hardest things to do.

So I'm just going to ask. Would you please donate to my fund? This is something that is so important to me and I would feel so honored to know that I am supported.

You can donate online at my web page

www.the3day.org/Chicago06/aprilcardinal

Or if you'd like to send me a check, please email me and I will give you my address, or just add a comment on my post.

Please, and Thank you for believing in me, and for your support and sacrifice.

Love, April

No comments: