3.06.2007

more thoughts on sacramental living

....and I'm back! I'm drugged up on DayQuil, but I'm here! :-)

I am still thinking about sacramental living. I am fascinated by moments that bring me closer to something inside of myself. Are those moments bringing me closer to God? For my earlier thoughts, please see my post from a few days ago.

My friend Jasie posted some thoughts on sacramental living.Please read her entry, it's very very good!

I received a letter from a dear friend yesterday. It was a letter full of humble honesty. My friend said, "I hesitate to share this, in fear that you will think less of me..." and I had to stop reading. I just sat there. I wasn't afraid of what I would read. I wasn't afraid of being disappointed. I thought, "How could I think less of you?" The letter continued to speak something more profound than words could utter. The letter was beautiful.

That connection, that sharing, that honesty is sacred to me. Those are the moments I live for. Those are the moments where I am reminded of what it means to be human, and to seek after my God. Those are moments when I am reminded that I am not alone in my humanity. Those are moments when we human beings sparkle with holiness.

Why do we fear that our honesty will cause rejection? Why do we fear that this pure connection will make us feel stained? It doesn't matter if our confessions are right or wrong or justified or embarrassing or huge or dark or mediocre. Friend to friend, soul to soul, heart to heart, seeker to seeker....we come together with this one huge thing in common--We have the ability to be real, to be plainly human. Let us not forsake this great gift. As we make room for these sacramental moments, we truly truly catch a glimpse of who God is, and who he created us to be.

Thanks for listening.

No comments: