taxidermy in my temporary bedroom

I have arrived in Juneau. It is midnight and I'm exhausted but quite relieved. I finished reading The Spiral Staircase by Karen Armstrong on this last flight. I feel like I've accomplished something during all of my airport time. I thought I'd update you with a few new chaos stories. I have this pen that is created out of the handle of a butter knife. I am smart enough to know that this is not the kind of item that an airport security terminal wants to see. Somehow, I have NO IDEA how, but this pen was stashed in the bottom of my cosmetic case. It has been the cause of alarm at every airport. I have to remember to pull it out of my bag and put it in the bin with my laptop and cell phone just so that the security people can see it right away. I have been having to describe this item every time and it is getting really annoying.

Secondly, I was starving and decided to eat some dinner since I was stuck at the airport of 9 hours. I found a Chili's and considered it comfort food and enjoyed a nice meal of southwest eggrolls and enchilada soup. Yes, I know, neither of those are vegetarian items but I just didn't care today. Anyways, I finished up my meal and went to get my wallet and I realized that I had left my wallet under the seat in Ruth's car. I panicked. I didn't know how I was going to explain to the restaurant that I had no way of paying for my meal. I wanted to cry. Ruth lives an hour away from the airport. There was no way that she would make it to the airport in time for me to retrieve my wallet, walk through security and be back to my terminal in time for boarding. I suddenly remembered that I had pulled out my license and debit card and stuffed them in my pocket. What a relief! I think I'll be okay with just those two things. Ruth is going to send my wallet back home to Milwaukee. My flight was delayed an extra 2 hours. But I am here. I am camped out in a lounge that is nice and quiet and should allow me to get some sleep so I can enjoy my day tomorrow. I am laughing a little at the fact that I am sleeping in a miniature taxidermy museum. I'm lying on the floor right next to big stuffed black bear. On the other side of me is a big green sturgeon fish. Across the room there is a stuffed snowy owl and a few stuff ducks. I hope I don't wake up in the middle of the night and freak out. Actually, I feel cozy and content.

I'm signing off. Goodnight.

1 comment:

Dustin and Stacey said...

Wow! What a trip! Can't wait to see pics and hear how it all turned out in the end!!